Congratulations to the Y-D Red Sox on their 3rd championship in 4 years (2004, 2006, 2007)! This is a follow-up to Greg's game summary.
Here are my game notes:
- Trevor Holder (Georgia) was playoff MVP and certainly earned it! He gave up just one hit (to Andrew Giobbi in the 2nd inning) and struck out 10. He came out firing and seemingly got a second wind in the 6th and 7th.
- Y-D and Falmouth fans fought throughout the game with back-and-forth "Let's Go Falmouth" and "Let's Go Red Sox" chants.
- How about Luke Burnett's 95mph fastball in the 8th to strikeout Y-D star Gordon Beckham? It just doesn't get any better than that! Simply amazing.
- Did Falmouth wait too long to put in Luke Burnett (La Tech)? He was ready at the start of the 8th inning.
- Y-D stranded 7 runners before finally scoring in the 8th. Falmouth had some great defense and pulled off a 4-6-3 double play in the 1st and David Adams (Virginia) made a great basket catch in the 2nd. Jeremy Farrell (Virginia) also made a nice grab in the 7th on an Aaron Luna pop fly.
- Let's not forget Gordon Beckham's diving play in the 4th to throw out Aja Barto (Tulane) at 1st just in time.
- My playoffs photoset is now complete.